Our Completed Projects
When it comes to building rehabilitation, experience and real life examples count. At Paramount Development Group of Boston, MA, we have transformed many buildings in the area, successfully breathing new life into these structures. View some of our completed works here.
The National Association of Home Builders Honors Volunteers of America in partnership with Paramount Development Group with a Pillars of the Industry Award.
The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) honored the Blakeley Building in Lawrence, MA as one of the "best of the best" in the multifamily housing industry. The renovation of the Blakeley Building was part of a national effort undertaken by the Volunteers of America, one of the largest non-profit providers and developers of affordable housing in the country, in partnership with Paramount Development Group, to address the country's affordable housing crisis affecting families, low-income seniors and people with disabilities.
"The best of the Best" is part of the NAHB's annual pillars of industry awards program that recognizes excellence in apartment design, development, management and marketing. The Blakeley Building won the award for the Most Creative Financing of an Affordable Apartment Community."
"The terrific group of winners in this year's Multifamily Pillars of the Industry Awards represents the top tier of the apartment and condo industry. The communities reflect great ideas and outstanding design. The marketing programs were fresh and effective. The firms and individuals that were honored by NAHB for their achievements are to be congratulated for their innovation, perseverance and leadership" said Steve Patterson, CEO of ZOM USA and chair of NAHB's Multifamily Leadership Board. "Today’s multifamily housing is beautiful, innovative, smart, green and full of terrific amenities that add to the residents' quality of life"
A marriage of old and new, the Blakeley Building project paired the redevelopment of a 118-year-old commercial building with new construction to provide 46 apartments and 4,200 square feet of ground floor retail space. Residential units include 36 two-bedroom and 10-one bedroom apartments. The $14 million project took 18 months to complete with the first residents moving in February 2008. It is the first residential housing community completed by Volunteers of America in Massachusetts. Nationally, Volunteers of America owns and operates 325 affordable housing communities in 38 states that are home to nearly 25,000 people.
The six-story Blakeley Building was built in 1890 and was used as office space for almost 100 years. While it was vacant for 10 years, many of its historic facade features remained intact. An adjoining building was built in 1879 but had been modified repeatedly and lost its historic value. This building was demolished as part of the renovation and a new six-story building was constructed in its place. The new building contains four ground floor retail bays, a management office, laundry and a six-story central atrium with a skylight.
"We believe in housing a foundation for a successful life," said Charles W. Gould, national president and CEO of Volunteers of America. "Not only does the Blakeley Building provide crucial affordable housing to Lawrence, but it also rehabilitates a landmark structure that previously sat blighted and unused. We hope this effort inspires further redevelopment in downtown Lawrence and helps strengthen the local community."
Charles Hayes Affordable Housing
The Charles H. Hayes Buildings, located at 14-44 Granite Street, consists of two adjacent buildings associated with Haverhill’s continued industrial expansion in the late 19th and early 20th centuries as a center for boot and shoe manufacture.
By the mid-19th century, shoe production was the dominant industry in Haverhill. Charles H. Hayes was one of the city’s most influential businessmen; he founded the C. H. Hayes Company, whose primary product was shoeboxes.
The east section of the Hayes Company’s factory, built in 1894, is a 6-story, Queen Anne Revival-style, red brick building. Its focal point is the pyramid-roofed stair tower. This building is a notable example of the work of prominent local architect Josiah M. Littlefield, who built many of Haverhill’s historic shoe factories and shoe-related buildings.
The south building, designed by George W. Griffin and built in 1911, is a seven-story buff brick building with concrete detail; its restrained, symmetrical façade suggests the Classical Revival Style. Both buildings bear the name “Charles H. Hayes Building.”
Richard J. Derosas of Paramount Development Group introduced the Catholic Planning Office of Urban Affairs to the building in 2008. Mr. DeRosas and his partners received planning and zoning board approval for a plan of adaptive re-use to construct 57 new apartments into this underutilized manufacturing building.
The transit-oriented development is located in Haverhill’s Chapter 40R Smart Growth District program. The Hayes at Railroad Square was the first project permitted in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to be permitted using this program. It is located one block from the Haverhill Commuter Rail Station, with direct access to downtown Boston and the Amtrak’s Downeaster line. This project includes 57 units of affordable housing and newly renovated retail storefronts. The Hayes at Railroad Square, which opened in 2010, represents a $20 million investment in downtown Haverhill.
Sacred Heart Church
The Sacred Heart Parish property is a complex of five buildings, including an old and new school, church, rectory and convent.
The dates of construction range from 1899 for the old school to 1925 for the new school and 1916 & 1934 for the church building. The complex is located in the South Lawrence neighborhood and their architectural styles range from Romanesque Revival to Colonial Revival. Catholicism was introduced into Lawrence in 1845 when three major mill complexes opened in the planned community of Lawrence. Many of the workers who flocked here brought Catholicism with them. Sacred Heart Parish was one of two French Canadian parishes to serve the French-speaking mill workers who came from rural areas around Quebec. The Parish was closed as part of the property dispositions by the Boston Archdiocese in 2004.
Paramount Development Group in partnership with ETC Development purchased the property in 2006 and proceeded to reposition the church campus for a use that would preserve the buildings and the character of the neighborhood.
In early 2007 the Catholic Dominican Friars contacted Richard J. Derosas, President of Paramount Development Group, regarding plans to relocate their congregation to Lawrence, MA. The Friars entered a long-term lease agreement to relocate their congregation to the church and rectory buildings. After an extensive renovation, the buildings were re-occupied for their intended use.
Mr. Derosas and his partners successfully won planning board and zoning board approval for 44 elderly units to be constructed in the three remaining buildings and subsequently received an allocation of 9% LIHTC’s. Federal and historic credits were also secured to complete the $17 million financing package.
This successful rehabilitation of 44 elderly housing units created in the old school, convent and new school, with underground parking in the church basement has provided much-needed affordable senior housing. This rehabilitation is a viable re-use of an entire parish complex that has returned housing and taxable commercial space to the city of Lawrence. The Parish complex is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.